[pianotech] The big discussion

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Fri Jan 28 16:16:43 MST 2011

On 01/28/2011 10:29 AM, David Love wrote:

> I don’t think I’m hung up on anything other than a rejection of the
> “woo woo” aspect of tuning as it has been presented. There is an art
> to it, of course, but there is also a science. I don’t understand what
> you don’t get as suggested by your question about my kids not learning
> to write or do basic math. What I said was that they both use
> computers and word processors and still learned to do the math and
> writing. The tools didn’t get in the way. The suggestion has been that
> the using an ETD prevents you from gaining the aural skills. I think
> that’s a false supposition. While some may allow it to get in the way
> that’s not the machine’s fault.
>
> And contrary to a popularly expressed opinion, I don’t think you need
> to become a skilled and complete aural tuner (if that’s what you mean
> by craftsman) before you can go out and try and make a living tuning
> pianos. Moreover, I think it’s arrogant to suggest it (and some have).
> While I won’t argue that having fully developed aural skills isn’t a
> great benefit and that a person who doesn’t have them might not get
> caught in a situation that is compromising or revealing, say the
> machine breaks down or they have to make a judgment call on a poorly
> scaled piano and aren’t as equipped as they should be, then they might
> pay the price for that in some way. Perhaps they won’t be called upon
> to tune very high end pianos belonging to demanding customers or do
> concert work. But then their lack of experience and a resume even if
> they did have aural skills might disqualify them in those cases
> anyway. But if you can manipulate the tuning hammer and pin
> effectively and can tune solid and stable unisons, then whether or not
> you can set an aural temperament or aurally stretch the piano
> perfectly by ear the required amount should not disqualify someone
> from going out and trying to make a living. How successful they are
> will ultimately depend on how they continue to develop their skills
> and knowledge and how much care they put into their work, just like
> the rest of us. I can recall attending a class by Jim Coleman who was
> telling us about a student he was guiding who was learning to tune
> using a machine. He had reached the point (after about four months) of
> tuning sold unisons by ear but still relied heavily on the machine for
> the rest of the tasks. He (Jim) had no problem with sending that
> person out into the real world at that point and neither would I, and
> neither should anyone else, in my opinion.
>
> David Love
>
> www.davidlovepianos.com

Damn, David, you hit - my - nail squarely on the head.

You have completely described - me.

When I trained side by side with my mentor, he showed me and told me
that the ETD is just the tool to get the proper tuning. The - real -
techniques are learning how to "set" the pins, make your you can get
good solid unisons and, as a final check, as least check the octaves.

And sense over 3/4 of my first tunings are pitch raises, he said that
real technique is learn how far you need to jerk/pull up the string to
get it close to the pitch without going too far then tweak the string to
get the right pitch.

Once - he - felt I had learned these proper techniques then he said that
I'm ready to venture out on my own.

Also, along side my mentor, he taught me most of the "services" -
regulation, key leveling, etc.

Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 11 years