[pianotech] Copper recycling of bass strings

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Jul 1 03:38:37 MDT 2011

At 23:28 -0700 30/06/2011, Rob McCall wrote:

>I have a set of bass strings I removed from an old grand. My 13 year
>old wants to know if she can have the money from recycling the
>copper.  The recycling place won't take it if it's still wrapped on
>the steel core.
>
>I've tried to find an easy way to have my daughter remove the copper
>but the effortless method has eluded me to date. :-)
>
>Anyone have any ideas?

I wish I had.  I get £4 per kilo for "bright" copper scrap but they
give very little for what they call "brassy iron" and I have
hundredweights of it waiting for the right idea to light up.

I think the answer for a large quantity is to hire or build a
furnace, but for the 5 pounds of copper you're going to get from one
set there's no cost-effective answer unless your children are good
with an oxy-acetylene torch!

JD