[pianotech] Tension and compression in soundboard panels

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jul 7 15:52:12 MDT 2011

My first rule is never do yourself what you can get others to do for you
;-).  I find that every time I gather some new bit of information about
something it often causes me to revisit areas that I thought I knew.  I try
to be cautious of my own assumptions.  I like to see that everything still
checks out.  Sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it does.  I've done my share of
researching of formulas and setting up spreadsheets but, you're right, this
is probably worth doing at some point, not critical for now.  I understand
the circle geometry, I'd have to find the expansion rate of this particular
species.  It is a point of interest in terms of selecting the EMC to know
exactly at what EMC the top of the panel comes under compression: If ribbing
at 6.0 is it 6.01 or is it 7.0.  I mean, 6.0 is about 30% RH, string bearing
adding some compression aside, that doesn't leave a large margin for putting
the top of the panel under tension.  But I can do the research, it's not the
main direction of my inquiry.  You've answered the basic question.  Thank
you.

Anyway, I am going somewhere with this so please bear with me.  Just a
dialogue here--something I hear we've been wanting.

So the next question is where does the bulk of soundboard compression damage
take place, at the top of the panel or at the bottom of the panel.  You'd
expect the bottom of the panel to be under greater amounts of compression
but the attachment of the ribs to the bottom of the panel would seem to take
some of the pressure off, so to speak, at least at the surface.  How deeply
does that impact go if it's there at all.  On one hand you might expect the
bottom of the panel to experience less damage, on the other hand the bottom
of the panel is undergoing some greater amount of compression (than the top)
so you could argue that there would be more damage.  Which is it?

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com