[pianotech] New string broke twice

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Jul 12 16:19:32 MDT 2011

At 16:01 -0600 12/07/2011, Joe Goss wrote:

>Should one also order the pair so the partials will match?

Yes, and also because the second string is going to break very soon
if it is of the same faulty design and you'll save yourself a trip.

It's worth bearing in mind that only a minority of piano makers,
whether in the past or at present, have a very good grasp of bass
scale design or even of the strength of the wire they use.  The main
reason more bass strings don't break is that commercial manufacturers
have always been very conscious of the cost of copper.  One of my
predecessors in the string-making trade told me of one manufacturer
customer who, as soon as the price of copper rose significantly,
would ask them to make the bass strings lighter in order to maintain
his margin!

JD