[pianotech] Plate screw problem

David Renaud drjazzca at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 08:00:28 MDT 2011

Hello

     Thank you for the response thus far......

     My tool shop says the $6 titanium bit is only titanium coated and it should not be
A problem to drill out with a good quality carbide bit. The sales person says they would
Be very surprised if a carbide bit could not handle this, for they drill through steel ibeams
With such.

      I like Don's suggestion of drilling out the entire mess with a big bit and plugging the hole
With pin block material to start over.  I will try a good quality carbide bit unless someone on
The list knows something is amiss with this plan.

      The requested picture will need to wait until I am next in the shop.....but I will describe the corner. Typical of a boesendorfer, open face, the pin block has layers with a lower thin shelf
Forward of the bass section. There are plate screws forward of the bass agraffes into that lower shelf, the closest of these shelf screws I  think is about 6 inches from the corner. The corner itself is where tall thin
Plate struts meet, so yes; a thin tall deep plate hole. In fact it was a thinner smaller screw in this
Corner as the strut width could accommodate. I the broken off in the wood....plus now a shreded titanium coated bit occupying a little bit of the plate hole.

      I terms of function, I don't see that courner taking much stress.......then block is firmly
Married to the shelf and stretcher and not going to move. The bass strings are pulling up at the
Agrafff, but with those shelf screws directly in front of them......that screw is not doing much,
I admit to being temptet to fill the hole with west system epoxy with as much screw as I can fit
Cut to size to put in the hole. That glue -screw head would never come apart, and the next person to ever remove the block would be swearing at me, drilling it out, cutting from under the strut, and would be very unhappy. With a new block, that may be never in the life of the piano.

      All that said, the proper thing to do at this point is to drill out that mess and plug that hole.

Regarding beeswax......yes.  I often use it when it feels so tight I have a gut feeling it is needed.
I never felt I was forcing so much. A very old screw, and in this corner a thinner weaker screw.
Perhaps already weakened from previous installation, tightening or removal.

    So I learn I should always use a little beeswax, and not depend on my gut feeling about it.
Also I recall someone in a class suggesting they like to go with new screws.......perhaps someone that had this experience before and determined not to go there again.

    Any warnings regarding a carbide bit attempt? I don't have experience drilling metal.
    Sound right to you.

   Let this be a warning to others..........Use the beeswax.
   This lesson will cost me some time and money.....

                                                                      Thank You
                                                                       Dave Renaud

Sent from my iPad