[pianotech] Horse and buggy users.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jul 20 09:40:39 MDT 2011

On 7/20/2011 9:11 AM, William Monroe wrote:

> It is essential that everyone who reads this forum (and who will
> eventually be using the new system) understands that the paradigm shift
> (it really is) reaches far beyond email lists.  The new software works
> wonderfully for so much of what the home office needs it to do to track
> and maintain membership, communications, and the integrating so many
> needs for the organization - of which the email list is only one.

We have all understood this from the very first day, and have been
reminded of it over and over and over. Yes, we know. It integrates with
Member Max, whatever that could possibly have to do with the tech lists.
Those of us complaining of the list handling of this software are
concerned with just that - the function of the list handling. We aren't
trying to tell you how to run the home office software and never have,
but we are indeed being told to shut up, go away, and deal with what we
were given for a tech list. Reassuring us that everything except what we
are concerned with is working fine doesn't strike me as particularly
helpful to those of us hoping to get the new list functions improved to
the point that the tech community will actually use them. Once yet
again. The total traffic on the new tech lists since inception indicates
that something is wrong. It's either that a large percentage of the
folks that have trafficked the old list all these years are backward
ignorant Luddites, or that they collectively see a deficiency in the new
list system. While we are being characterized as lazy, stubborn, and
stupid, we are seeing an administration that's saying "We're happy with
what we got, get used to it."

Yes, we know. It's working really great for the office staff. We're
thrilled about that. Really we are, nearly as much as the administration
cares about our concerns with the function of the tech lists.

Oh, did I mention that it's the specific things we've talked about, like
fixing the character set in the PDA function and allowing attachments
from and with email from the same function, that could render
performance virtually identical to the old list if these were looked
into and addressed instead of being ignored as irrelevant when the
office software is working so VERY well.

So PLEASE, can we stop answering tech list specific complaints with
general office organization rah rah as if we're all too dim to notice?
Some indication that someone actually both understands and cares, and
some indication that any effort at all is being made to attempt to
address the complaints about the tech lists would be both astonishing,
and hopeful. Is there any real hope of that ever happening, or will we
continue to just hear more about how great it is for the office
organization?

Slow and Backward in Do-Dah