[pianotech] Chickering Grand Hammer Flanges?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 26 18:41:49 MDT 2011

Mark,
Yes, I have played two  M& Hs, in a side by side test, at Classic Piano, in Portland. I definately did not like the feel of the Plastic. Also, I did not like the tone produced. It must just be me.<G>  (Or...it could just have been those two pianos)
I'm a wood worker. It's what I do. Plastic parts, no matter how well crafted, do not appeal to me. I happen to like the sound of pianos with wood parts. I do not like pianos with aluminum rails and/or plastic parts. That includes the difference between the new Kawaii s and the old ones. Two different entities! Truly not intended to be insulting or anything. I applaud the effort you have made in this regard. It is needed, I suppose, for those that like to change the basic character of the instruments they work onyour stuff is just the ticket. It's not to say that that's a bad thing, it's just not my thing. I try to bring out the intention of the designer of the piano, in my rebuilds. Your parts do not do that, IMO.<G>
 I perceive that over the past 40 years, pianos have transitioned into a harsh unmusical entity. I believe it is an evolutionary process that is prompted from modern ears becoming deaf at  earlier years. Also, it is a never ending process to try and get more out of a given piano. Some of the Tonal Perception is due to the poor EQing of modern recordings of pianos. The fact is that pianos will only produce so much of a decible level and that it has reached that! Any further attempt is simply producing more "noise" IMO. Granted, wooden action problems have their problems. I know how to work with them. Plastic is not a repairable product. It is a "replaceable' product. All goes along with our "throw away/disposable" societal mindset.

Regards,
Joe