[pianotech] Guess which pin...

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 09:43:40 MDT 2011

I've tried various ratios. I'm not completely convinced that it makes a lot
of difference. Personally I use 50/50 denatured alcohol and water. I think
air drying works than artificially drying it with a heat gun or hair drier.
It gives the parts more time to swell. For this to be most effective, the
parts should really seize up at first.

That being said, heat does seem to be effective as well in some cases. But I
would try that after the initial treatment has thoroughly dried.

This type of treatment is somewhat hit or miss. It's not very controllable.
Sometimes it doesn't work as well as you would like, other times it works
all too well! But, it can make a non-functioning piano playable again with
very modest effort and damage to the clients checking account.

Ryan

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter