[pianotech] Piano rusting at the beach

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Tue Mar 1 01:39:49 MST 2011

Thanks Paul...

This piano is in Cardiff by the Sea and it's right across the street from the beach.

My client wants to restring it so I'm not too worried about fixing that particular part.  I'm most interested in getting it thoroughly cleaned while the strings are out and off the tuning pins.  I believe that to be the optimum time to fix most of it.  The dremel tool is a great idea.

One of the other reasons for restringing is the fact that every single string is tied off at the hitch pin. So there are coils at both ends! I'm not really looking forward to tying all those knots, but it's in the estimate...  :-)

The good news is that the piano will be moved to Temecula, over 25 miles from the beach and a much drier and warmer climate.  It's also getting a DC unit to keep it near the same humidity it's accustomed to.

I'll look into the coil/tuning pin cleaning device.  I vaguely remember seeing that at one of the supply houses, too.

While I'm thinking of it, what about cleaning out the holes in the agraffes?  I pulled a couple of strings up to check pin tightness and I heard a good "ping" as the corrosion bond broke at the agraffe. Does someone make a steel pipe cleaner?  :-)

Regards,

Rob McCall
Murrieta, CA