[pianotech] Unusual Tuning fork (David Lawson)

Larry Fisher RPT larryf at pacifier.com
Tue Mar 1 08:31:26 MST 2011

Hello David,

How’s things going for ya??

My first thought is it’s a frequency standard for radio work.  It’s not big enough for 100 cps so I don’t know what that number is.  I’ll forward this over to my brother who at the age of 12 built his own ham radio transmitter.

In the olde days you had to “align” receivers by tuning the “IF cans” so that they’d operate at their optimum.  A frequency standard was used to accomplish this.  Station WWV was the source for this.  At various places on the ham radio dial you could find this station located just outside Wellington, CO.  Every minute they’d announce the geophysically correct time.  A tone would pulse every second for 50 seconds and then the announcement would take 10 seconds to complete.  After many hours of working with this radio source in my youth, I can still remember the announcement.

“This is WWV, Fort Collins, Colorado. (small pause) The next tone begins at (short pause) X hours, X minutes.”  Then there’d be another short pause and the first tone would be slightly longer than the others.  At 30 seconds there was a double click I think.

The “metric” version of this was CHU CANADA, announced in French.

Regardless, it looks like someone needed an electromechanical frequency standard.  20 years ago they could have produced a solid state version of this but I guess there were some stability issues to deal with.

Lar