[pianotech] unusual tuning fork

Larry Fisher RPT larryf at pacifier.com
Tue Mar 1 15:56:27 MST 2011

Wasn't it, ?This is WWV, Fort Collins, Colorado. (small pause) The next tone
begins at (short pause) X hours, X minutes, *Greenwich Mean Time*? ?? It's
been a long time since I've heard it, but I used to listen to it for
hours... well, maybe for ten minutes... at a time!!

Yes, Paul.  You are right.  Greenwich Mean Time.  I fergitted that part.

........  and David, I haven’t heard back from my brother yet.  I’ll keep you posted.

All the while tuning up a radio this would play in the background and so it became engrained in a person’s memory for life.  OK smarty pants, what was the tonal frequency?  That was considered a standard as well.

Ah yes, a walk down burn your fingers vacuum tube powered radios memory lane.  And now folks, back to pianos.

Lar

PS, since we’re on a “SHOW AND TELL” chapter on Pianotech, I have a very sensitive measuring device called a tone-o-meter.  I’ll take pix and see if anyone can tell me what it is and what it was used for.