[pianotech] Baldwin Spinet Serial Number Dilema

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 3 22:50:25 MST 2011

?????? I recently looked at an older Baldwin Spinet for a?client who is?purchasing it from another individual. My evalauation of the piano and my? 30 years professional experience tell me that the piano was likely made in the late 50's or 60's. The case style and the condition of the hammers?and overall apearance of the action lead me to believe it is at least 50 years old. However when I looked it up in my Pierce Atlas it woould have the vintage at?1997!! Am I missing something? The serial number I copied from the standard location was very clearly stamped?"353619"? The piano is neither an Acrosonic nor Hamilton,the fallboard just says Baldwin. The seller says they believe the piano to have been made in?the 1980's. The piano has newer looking bass strings and larger tuning pins?for the bass strings which look like they are 25 years old,but the rest of the piano is definately older.

I found that serial number sequence under Hamilton numbers.. Baldwin seemed to vacillate on their number systems. No clue why, but I've run into this myself.
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police