[pianotech] [Fwd: Re: Boyd-London Baby Grand]

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Sat Mar 5 12:04:16 MST 2011

Subject: Re: Boyd-London Baby Grand
From:    david at piano.plus.com
Date:    Sat, March 5, 2011 5:15 pm
To:      piantotech at ptg.org

I've come across a few Boyd pianos in the past.  They are not listed in
The Musicians Piano Atlas.  Probably 1930s.

The action is a D-Type Spring and Loop action as discussed previously on
this list.  Lots of them, made by Herrburger-Brooks, were fitten to
budget-end small grand pianos made in England at one time.

It's interesting that you find that the action in this piano has good
repetition.  I've never found that they feel nice, and as you will have
observed, they lack a repetition lever.

Best regards,

David Boyce.