[pianotech] OT: Now it's official!

pianolover 88 pianolover88 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 7 13:35:07 MST 2011

					"I Have One gear, GO!" Annual Fargo Hill Climb Challenge, 3/6/11

Preface: Just because we're piano tuners, and our work is mainly sedentary and, most of us are *over* 50, it doesn't mean that we can't challenge ourselves to do what's never been done before....

Since my last climb up Fargo street on 2/23/11, I was filled with both
anticipation AND apprehension about today’s (3/6/11) “Annual Fargo hill
street climb challenge”! When I did my climb back on 2/23/11, I had
nearly collapsed upon finishing, and by lungs continued to burn like
fire for the next 24 hours! So I had serious doubts as to if I could
ever do it again!

Plus, I just got bad news last week from my doc, that I have
Hypothyroidism, of which a hallmark symptom is fatigue! But I just said
to myself that I MUST do this! I’ve trained too hard and prepared
myself, and I will do make this climb if it kills me! And it almost did
the last time, haha! But with the hundreds of bikers, spectators,
media, plus my LBS sponsor and my brother were there, I had everything
riding on this!

I got to Fargo early, and signed up and got my lucky number “7”, and
then it was showtime. So after some stretching and a good deep breath,
I mounted my 24" mountain unicycle, and went for it! After about 100
feet I realized that, unlike last time, THIS time there were other
participants…on BIKES…that I had to contend with during the climb!

They space the riders out but invariably people tend to bunch up now
and then, and it happened to me more than once! I found myself having
to balance in one spot, and sometimes hop in place, to avoid a
collision! That slowed me down a bit, and gravity would throw me back
down the massive 33% grade hill each time I hopped!

But, at the ¾ point up, I started gaining confidence that I might pull
it off! To my great surprise, my legs felt strong with no noticeable
lactic acid, and my lungs weren't burning like last time. With 50 feet
to go, I knew I had it in the bag, and as I crested the top, I felt
relief and great excitement, and this time, instead of nearly
collapsing after my last climb when my buddy Steve was there, I THRUST
my uni over my head in victory, as a tribute to my broter waiting
below. I got my patch and now it was official!

After a few minutes, I rode back down, got lots of high fives, and
chatted with several people. After giving a couple interviews with
media that was there, a reporter from OC Register—who was late getting
there and missed my climb—just asked me to “recreate it” by riding up
for only about 20 feet, so he could snap some shots for the paper.

I said sure, and casually started my short, 20 foot climb. But after he
said thanks and got the shot, I decided to keep going! So many more
people had arrived since my first climb, so I thought, why not. I’ve
already got my patch, so if I can’t make it a second time, no biggie,
I’ve got my patch anyway!

So I kept going…and going…and…I made it to the top for a *second* time
in a row! Wow! Oddly, I still felt strong, but after hanging out for a
little longer, I drove another 35 miles to do a nice 10 mile MUni ride
on my 29er! What an epic day!

Cheers!

LINK:
http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments=1&v=SNUPefIVxv4