[pianotech] clunking upright stickers

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 01:40:29 MST 2011

    Thanks for all the replies on mating grand hammers to
strings.
    Now I have a piano teacher's old upright whose
stickers/wippens clunk pretty loudly when returning.  If I hold
down the back of the keys in question, and lift the wippen and
let it drop, I hear the clunk.  Depressing and releasing the key
also clunks, sometimes just as loudly, sometimes not.  I tried
replacing the sticker cloth with brand new medium thick action
cloth.  Still clunks.  Tried replacing the sticker cloth with
hammer skiving felt about 1/8" thick and that was slightly
quieter, but not much.  Tried re-pinning the wippen flange.
Still clunks.  Grabbed both the sticker and wippen
simultaneously, trying to move them apart and away from each
other, testing the sticker-to-wippen pinning for any play, and
didn't feel any.  The action has been regulated (no lost
motion).  And it's not clicks from missing butt felts.
    Now, there's some other minor clunking from balance holes
that are slightly "pulley," and from key bushings that could
stand to be replaced, but again, when holding the key still and
raising & releasing the wippen, I still get the noise.
    I told her there's always a little noise in the action, and
it can't be eliminated 100%, but these "clunks" seem excessively
noisy and are noticeable even with all the front case parts in
place.
    --David Nereson