[pianotech] Keyblock/fram bedding problem

Daniel Carlton carltonpiano at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 8 12:24:51 MST 2011

Hi David and others

Sorry for the late response. I'm always a little slow on the uptake.

Daniel -
If I understand your description, then I don't think anyone has
actually addressed your question.  First up, it would be possible,
though unlikely, that, even with the key blocks out, you could be
knock-free.  That would depend upon whether the underside of the front
rail is relieved at the ends, to create a positive flex when the
blocks are tightened down.  But you're saying that, even with the
blocks installed, the keyblock plate, which in the Kawai is made of
plastic, is not bearing on the keyframe pin.  And not by a little.
You're talking almost 1/8". That's a lot.  Isn't there an adjustable
component to that plate?  I don't think it's simply a solid piece of
plastic, eh? Take a look.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY

No.  No adjustment up and down. Mark Wisner at Kawai is sending me
three-way adjustable plates (or two-way, or would it be four?). Once I
put those in I'll do the bedding again.

Daniel