[pianotech] Email Lists and Websites

RWyatt8547 at aol.com RWyatt8547 at aol.com
Wed Mar 9 10:12:09 MST 2011

Well said my friend Well said.

                                                Rick

In a message dated 3/9/2011 5:22:52 A.M. Central Standard Time,
allangilreath at bellsouth.net writes:

List members,

For the last 13 years, I have devoted  large portions of my life to serving
those in the Piano Technicians Guild.  During that time, I've tried to
cover every post that comes across Pianotech,  CAUT or PTG-L (as well as other
duties that had me at least gleaning  information from, if not participating
in, every committee list and other  lists.) My posts have become rather
infrequent given the other duties at hand  but I still considered myself a
participant in the lists.  I have nothing  but admiration for Jack Reeves who
started the original list at BYU as well as  Andy Rudoff and Ron Berry who have
devoted countless hours to keeping these  things running.  As it is, these
lists will continue at least through  this year's Convention in Kansas City.
The new web-based forums will also be  in place.  What happens after that
is up to the Board of Directors that  will then be in place.  I say that not
at all flippantly but know that  the individuals currently in place, and any
who are likely to find it in their  hearts to serve, are quite aware of
everyone's desires. I hope that by that  time the obvious answers will be in
place for best serving the membership as a  whole.

Much input was sought from numerous individuals around the  country, both
list users and those who don't. I personally talked with older  technicians,
younger technicians, computer savvy ones as well as those who  prefer to
avoid them as much as possible. We even held a session during a  class period
at the recent WestPac 1 and I appreciate those who took the time  to come and
learn about what could be accomplished while remaining a bit  surprised
that some of those who were at the Conference but didn't take time  to attend
that session are criticizing on this list.

Many individuals  put extensive amounts of energy into developing this
program and it operates  on numerous levels. The membership database was at a
point where a decision  had to be made. Some parts of our old website worked
wonderfully while a few  areas had difficulties.  Ron and Andy have both
devoted extensive amounts  of time to maintaining what we had but how much do we
have to right to ask of  individual volunteers? The approach was developed
to devise a system to  utilize technology rather than continuing to
overburden both our volunteers  and our staff and it seemed that we could provide a
platform that can grow  over time and adapt to a more collaborative process.
After working with the  new system a little, I've found it easy to organize
into threads, post files  and customize the site to some of my desires. Is
it perfect? Far from it but I  knew going in that it would grow, develop and
change over time. There are many  aspects to this system and most are
working wonderfully.

PTG  Presidents regularly lose sleep over matters concerning the Guild
members whom  they serve. I almost didn't go to the Boy Scout meeting last
night, where I  also serve as a leader,  with so much weighing on my mind.
Admittedly, I was feeling pretty bad that so much effort had been put into a
project and the comments that were coming through from members and even
non-members were quite so cutting of not only the effort but also individuals.
When we have an organization that is member-driven, it seems to be that it
should be based upon member-effort just as much.  Obviously, I have  failed
with a number of you in letting you realize how much input you have and  how
highly I have regarded your opinions, input and expertise.  The only  reason
I took time out of my schedule to try to answer questions recently was  due
to that desire to serve since I'm pretty severely back-logged in the shop
after taking time away from work and family to attend NAMM, Mid-Year Board
meeting and WestPac since the beginning of the year.

When I arrived at  the Scout meeting last night, I was feeling pretty low.
During the course of  the evening, I saw realization hit a young man that he
had been bullying. I  also learned that one of our boys had tried to commit
suicide because of a  terrible family situation. This really put things in
perspective to remind me  that there are real things happening far more
important than email rants or  any petty problems of my own. I saw those boys
not just pay lip service to the  tenets by which they promise to live but
actually try to put them into  practice. When one of them let slip an
inappropriate word, the entire Troop  did 20 push-ups.  My duty and my privilege is to
serve them and to help  them grow.

Ironically, I see people write derisively about "those in  power" or "the
powers that be." None of the positions in which I've served in  PTG have ever
been about that. Personally, I was not at a good point in my  life to
sacrifice the time nor was I totally willing. During the time period I  mentioned
at the beginning of this message, I started a new business, welcomed  my
son into the world, got through some of the worst economic times in my life
and worked on growing a business while serving PTG and trying to keep my
priorities straight on what I needed to do in life.

However, the recent  lack of courtesy, respect or kindness have been
overwhelming.   Some  of the language used has been totally inappropriate and I'm
ashamed to see it  on what is supposed to be a professional discussion.
Little  <grins> and such don't make up for cutting comments.  When comments
such as those that have come across this list occur, they undermine that
fabric of those to or about whom they're directed and also reflect very poorly
on those who make them. The mob mentality that develops sometimes is a very
negative aspect.  I'm supposed to have a thick "skin" in doing this job
but this time that has proven insufficient when those whom I have respected
and even thought of as friends act in such a manner. Ironically, there are
people out there who actually think I'm paid to do this. To those who are
considering, or even advocating, boycotts, signing off and such, you can rest
assured that that is never the wish nor the desire of anyone leading PTG.
My  fondest hope is that all find what they're looking for.

On this first  day of Lent, I'm going to try to follow the advise that was
given to Peter and  forgive not seven but seventy times seven since I'm
personally experiencing  thoughts that aren't entirely kind.  During this
message, the usage of  the word "I" occurred much more often than I like to see in
anything from my  pen. My apologies go out to anyone not involved for
taking up the bandwidth  and my apologies to everyone on the list for a
non-technical post.  I'm  signing off of all of these lists to get my heart in the
right place regarding  serving, leading and growing.

My best to all,

Allan
Allan Gilreath, RPT
Registered  Piano Technician