[pianotech] Clunky Noises

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 9 13:46:45 MST 2011

Hi David,

Do the process of elimination.  Take out the key completely.  Sometimes just
holding the key down can fool us into thinking we have eliminated it as a
culprit when it may still be a part of the problem.  But if you remove the
key instead, it will completely eliminate it for sure real quick like...
Unhook the bridal wire.  Now you have eliminated the hammer from working
with the wippen.  Eliminate each part as necessary, until you can narrow
down the noise to a certain part of the action or to a certain area in the
action.  Take the "stuff" out if you have too and check the center pins,
felts, etc.

Hold the damper away from the wires so that too, is completely eliminated as
a possible noise maker.

As for the felt, I would just set a piece of felt on top of the capstan to
see if that makes it go away as the sticker comes down onto the capstan.
Check the alignment of the capstan to where it engages the felt on the
sticker.  I have had it where the key warped or something and the capstan
was juuuust hitting the edge of the wood of the sticker.

2 more ¢ worth.

Jer