[pianotech] Clunky Noises

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 18:42:32 MST 2011

Here is a simple and usually successful way to return old felt to its
original volume. Use a high pressure steamer like the household
McCulloch steamer that puts out a stream of steam about 2 feet long.
Lay the action on a table and apply the steam up close to the felt on
the bottom of the stickers. It will swell immediately.  Let it dry
overnight. The felt will  swell to near original thickness especially
on such a part as those that  do not get worn away. Let it dry
overnight and put the action back it. It works very well on hammer
rest rail felt too.

 I use it for voicing also. I was showing a renovated piano to a
customer two days ago. She liked it but it was too bright. I told her
to go try some of the other pianos for a few minutes and I would take
care of it. It took about 3 minutes to warm up the steamer and about
30 seconds to run it across the contact points of all the hammers. She
came back in a few minutes, tried it, and bought it on the spot. The
voicing lasts too.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc