[pianotech] List changes - it's a lot bigger than just the lists...

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 9 19:36:36 MST 2011

WOW!

Reading all the messages over the last
few days one might think that the PTG is
all about the e-mail lists - Pianotech
and CAUT-L.

It isn't.

What you are seeing on the lists is - as
Allan Gilreath and Norman Cantrell
attempted to explain - a side effect of
a comprehensive attempt to deal with a
situation that has become untenable, and
to position the PTG so that it could
appeal to a much broader demographic
than it has to date. It seems that some
subscribers to this list expect the list
to be the tail that wags the PTG dog...
This change is not about "improving the
list". This change is about moving the
entire organization into a much more
efficient and effective mode of operation.

We all need to realize that the only
reason the lists and their archives have
been able to exist and develop to date
is because Andy Rudoff has set up and
managed the PTG server gratis, free, for
bobkis. Andy is not even a piano
technician - this was a labor of love
for him. For whatever reason (probably
because it has become overwhelming), he
is no longer going to do it (and I don't
blame him). Add to this the facts that
the PTG website - managed on a part-time
basis by Ron Berry - has become
inadequate for all the tasks that it is
expected to accomplish, and its
management has for a long time has been
too large a burden for a part-timer. So
the choice - as I see it - is hire
professionals to do these jobs (and bump
up everyone's dues accordingly) to
maintain a cumbersome, outdated and
inadequate organizational electronic
technology setup - or go to a
comprehensive up-to-date solution. As I
understand it, the PTG server will
eventually be shut down, and the entire
operation is moving into a "cloud
computing" mode, that lives on servers
out there somewhere with professional
contract management.  Thist will propel
all aspects of the PTG - finance,
marketing, member relations,
communication, management, etc. - to the
most efficient and effective level,
enhancing the PTG's capability to reach
a larger public, reducing the overall
cost and easing the burden on the
overworked PTG Home Office staff (and,
having worked with them on committee
stuff for years, I know how hard they
work).

I'll digress a bit now. Current research
shows that straight e-mail communication
is these days favored only among the
Baby Boomer generation. Younger people
who are much more computer savvy use
more specialized media for various
aspects of their communications - IM,
social networks, forums and other
web-based tools.  If we are not to
remain an organization of old fogeys
typing into our e-mail clients, we must
move into those formats that appeal to
the younger demographics. This is
absolutely crucial if the PTG is to
maintain or expand its membership and
its influence in the world of pianos and
piano technology. Let's face it - we old
fogeys aren't going to be here forever,
and the future belongs to the young.

I am 63 years old, and am starting - for
the first time in my life - to have
trouble with new technologies. I
recently switched from my clamshell to a
smartphone. I am still trying to figure
out all its ins-and-outs - but hell if I
am going back to the old dumb-phone,
because it's easy and comfortable... And
yes, I am not all that fluent with this
new interface yet - but I am beginning
to see where I can configure it to work
for me. And yes there are issues there -
but I see that Ron Nossaman has gotten
out of his "this is crap" mode and
started asking constructive questions
about how it could possibly be made to
work. And Fred Sturm - one of us old
fogeys himself - immediately saw the
potential of this format and bade this
old e-mail list-chatroom-flamewar
arena-discussiongroup goodbye. And I see
him on the new forums happily developing
well focused discussions pertinent to
the purpose of those particular forums.
And I suspect that they will soon draw
all those people who have left these old
lists because they got tired of pushing
the "delete" button all the time, plus a
lot more who really weren't interested
in having discussions forced on them
through their e-mailboxes - and would
rather look at them at their leisure,
without having their other
communications clogged up, digest).

Most of the complaints I have seen so
far are due to lack of desire to adapt.
This mode of communication is a lot more
flexible than just plain e-mail - you
can configure it to work for you in any
of a number fo modes suited to your
preferences (plain text, HTML,
whatever), your platform of choice
(computer, PDA) and look at it in any
number of views. You can get it through
e-mail or on the web. This is going to
reach a great deal more people than the
current lists, because it can suit a
greater range of preferences - if you
only bother to learn how to use it. This
sort of thing is now replacing straight
e-mail in large corporations and various
organizations - and if clerks and
secretaries can learn how to deal with
it, so can we. Stopping all this in its
tracks because a couple dozen members
don't want to learn how to use it is
folly. What's tied up in this this is of
much greater consequence than the
comfort level of list members who got
used to what is fast becoming
exclusively the province of old fogeys
like me and some of my good friends whom
I saw kvetching about the new format.

So why can't we have the old and the new
together? Simply because the PTG server
and its no-cost management are going
away. The listserves would have to live
somewhere - and the PTG would either
have to pay for someone to manage that
old server just for the benefit of the
web-phobic, or buy hosting from some
commercial outfit. And maintain a corps
of administrators and moderators to
administer the lists. Having
participated in the management of
several exam-related PTG lists, I can
tell you that it is no picnic.
Fortunately for me, those lists are
active only intermittently - but
whenever they were, I would get
inundated with all kinds of help
requests - most of them about simple
actions that anyone could do for
themselves if they only bothered to read
the list info and follow the
instructions. I can only imagine the
volume of such totally unnecessary work
that administrators of busy lists such
as Pianotech and CAUT-L had piled on
them over the years by PTG member
subscribers who neglected to learn the
most elementary things about taking care
of their own listserve issues whenever
possible.

Well, folks, the cost-free e-mail nanny
is going away. It's time to leave
cyber-kindergarten and go to web-school.
It isn't that hard. If you can't do it
on your own - well, buy your 11-year old
grandson or niece an ice cream cone, and
they'll show you. Or do it for you in 5
minutes. I know that I am being a bit
harsh with some of my good friends -
but, hey, it's a wake up call, and
trumpets work a lot better than
clavichords for that... The bottom line
is that maintaining the old lists
imposes costs on the organization that
weren't there before - and the
preferences of a couple dozen members
(and some non-members) is not a good
enough reason to bear those costs. Maybe
if members want to hang on to the old
lists they should pay a dues surcharge
for maintaining them. If the city
replaces public stables with parking
lots for cars, if you want to keep your
horse-and-buggy you need to pay for your
own stable and shovel your own s--t...

There is one thing for which I will
fault the PTG administration with regard
to this rollout. Much greater efforts
should have been made to prepare the
membership for it in terms of explaining
exactly what is happening and why and
offering tutorials in how to operate in
this new environment. I suspect that had
this been done, the change would not be
so traumatic. Change is difficult, and
people need to be prepared for it. It is
not too late - an internal PR campaign
needs to be launched explaining all
these changes andn offering members help
in adapting to them.

I am posting this to both CAUT-L and
Pianotech, and through bioth modes -
e-mail and web-based. Let's see what