[pianotech] List changes - it's a lot bigger than just the lists...

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 06:34:09 MST 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 11:32 PM, Israel Stein <custos3 at comcast.net> wrote:

>  John,
>
> I don't know all the ins-and-outs of why this was chosen over other
> packages. All I know is that my wife who works with this sort of stuff and
> has been in high tech her entire career took a look at it and said that it
> is pretty routine, is used widely and that most of the problems people are
> complaining about are just bugs that should be straightened out. She also
> said that she probably could have suggested various alternatives - she has
> been in this field (as a programmer and in marketing) since the Internet
> began and her business is to know or be able to find out about all available
> technologies. So I guess that was a missed opportunity - she had made her
> expertise available to the PTG before...

Strange, indeed.

> Be it as it may, this is what we have, lots of money and effort has been
> invested in it (wisely or not - I don't know)  and I sincerely hope that the
> bugs can be dealt with in due time. The alternatives would be very, very
> expensive - both in terms of money and time.

I hope that the bugs can be dealt with, too. Right now, it seems like all
the bugs are built-in. I just went to Higher Logic's site, and saw their HUG
discussion forum, which looks exactly like PTG's.

Anyone know what settings can be tweaked, or what changes can be made from
what now is? Or is the current format pretty much what we will have to use?

>From http://www.higherlogic.com/HL/HL2/PRODUCTS/eGroups/:
"Users can return to your website to start new topics and conduct research
using the stored content of archived postings, or stay within their own
Microsoft Outlook or Entourage application to view and respond to email
messages."

If we can actually respond to a discussion from an email reader, that would
be better. If it's limited to Outlook or Entourage, well ... that's not so
helpful. But I'm thinking responding to email message is referring to
personal email rather than group discussion.

--
JF