[pianotech] PTG site reorganization -> broken link

Ron Berry ron at berrypiano.com
Thu Mar 10 08:03:52 MST 2011

This is not the first time that links have been broken. In 2005 the graphic
redesign changed the URLs of all the pages. The www.ptg.org page is now
running on a Content Management System so that Home Office staff can have
direct control of the content. Basically, everything is one page with the
content being supplied by a database. We had some pages like that in the
past. Every link to every page has been broken. I have an error page that
gives people a link to the main page hoping they  will find what they are
looking for. I put some redirects with the old file names to the new pages.
findATechnician.php was the page that got the most traffic so there is a
redirect to the new page. I went through the analytics and put redirects for
the pages that were at the top of the traffic. I could add more. It sounds
like the brochures and bulletins are a choice. Do I need to put them for
each bulletin or just the page listing them?

This is always a problem when moving to a new system. There is no point in
recreating the whole file system in redirects but I will try to hit the most
important ones. In the end we want people to link to the new page.

ron

--
Ronald Berry Piano Service
ron at berrypiano.com