[pianotech] Bridge separated from SB

Daniel Carlton carltonpiano at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 10 09:54:41 MST 2011

Are you referring to the bridge cap delaminating from the bridge body?
Are they both Baldwins?
I'm not a big fan of the "bridge roll" concept. Soundboard collapse
(negative bearing as a symptom) makes more sense to me.
Patrick

One is a Wurlitzer studio, and the other is a Baldwin console, if I
remember right.
It's not the cap, it's the bridge itself coming unglued from the SB,
at the root.

Terry Farrell explained it to me (hopefully I'm not confusing this
with something else): you cut off part of a hoola-hoop and holding
both ends, rotate it downwards, and that is what bridge roll is
supposed to be.

I always wondered how someone could tell the bridge was actually
rolling, without taking it out of the piano, so yes negative bearing
does make more sense to me too, but what do I know?

For pianos like these, it doesn't seem to be worth doing anything to
repair them.

Daniel