[pianotech] give us instructions, was Re: New Format

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Fri Mar 11 00:33:08 MST 2011

> Duaine,
>
> My wife who had even less facts than you figured it all out and found
> all the relevant stuff on-line in about 3 minutes. Come on, Mr. IT
> professional, you couldn't figure out that the <"www.ptg.org"> and
> <www.my.ptg.org> were two different websites (linked together) powered
> by two different technologies? And, by the way, Higher Logic was
> mentioned in several posts. Perhaps it was on the CAUT list... Why
> don't you search the list archives and see if "Higher Logic" comes up...
>
> Israel Stein
Well, it is not that hard - if - you know what your are looking for.

The "main" domain name is "ptg.org"

The "subdomain" domain name is "my.ptg.org" - "my" being the subdomain
of "ptg.org"

The domain name "ptg.org" resolves to the IP address of "69.48.251.44"

>From the browser line:

http://69.48.251.44/Scripts/4Disapi.dll/4DCGI/cms/review.html?Action=CMS_Document&DocID=19&MenuKey=Menu27

For some reason, the IP address is hard coded.

A DNS (Domain Name Server) Server usually is used to resolve the domain
name to the IP address

So to be a normal lookup, it should look like this:

http://ptg.org/Scripts/4Disapi.dll/4DCGI/cms/review.html?Action=CMS_Document&DocID=19&MenuKey=Menu27

or

http://www.ptg.org/Scripts/4Disapi.dll/4DCGI/cms/review.html?Action=CMS_Document&DocID=19&MenuKey=Menu27

I'm sorry if I offended anyone and I'm done - - - - - I'm tired of
trying to enlighten your minds.

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 11 years