[pianotech] Off List - Re: Hmmm?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Mar 11 16:53:48 MST 2011

I don't care for the interface either but you can minimize your exposure by
simply selecting PDA or plain text formatting and then respond using your
email program, in effect: write, copy and then click on the link and paste
your post to the reply.  It may not be ideal but it's doable.

My goal is to make the interaction as much like the old system as possible
because I think the less structured free association type of dialogue has a
benefit (though not everyone agrees with me).  A bit of chaos amongst the
bastions of Type A's has its benefits.  Debate isn't always pretty but it's
often productive.

I still do consider the list an important part of the PTG and not a group
who has simply developed an inflated sense of self importance.  Comments
were made about teachers at conventions not necessarily being participants
in the list but when I look at Westpac1, just off the top of my head, Del
Fandrich, Dale Erwin, Mike Morvan, Horace Greeley, Nick Gravagne, and Israel
Stein (no less) are all frequent participants on the list.  At national
conventions there are many others.  Obviously some teachers don't
participate but many do and I think the list serves as an important
barometer for what people are talking about and are interested in.  I think
it is likely that the Designer's Showcase would not have happened were it
not for the discussions on soundboard design that had taken place there over
those preceding years.  So I do hope that people stay with it and make the
necessary adjustments.  I would also be pleased to see some acknowledgment
by those who have disparaged the group based on the practices of a few that
the list has real value.  For me personally it is probably the most
important service that the PTG offers.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com