[pianotech] A new Pianotech list that works

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Mar 12 02:06:59 MST 2011

I have set up a new mailing list / group as a demonstration that
without the expenditure of a penny a mailing list can be created that
actually works.

You can join the group either by going to the group page:

<http://groups.google.com/group/pianotech>

or by sending a blank email to:

       pianotech+subscribe at googlegroups.com.

In this case you will receive an email containing a link to validate
your subscription.

Once you have subscribed, I believe you will receive a welcome message.

The list is set to distribute all postings to members as they arrive,
but you have options in the web interface to receive a digest or a
summary if that's what you prefer.

A searchable archive exists on the web of all postings to the list.

I am subscribed to several lists that have switched to Google Groups
and there never seems to be any problem with any of them.

The only slight annoyance I have with Google groups is that you are
not sent email copies of your own postings to the group, though you
will see them in the web list.  If you need to include your own
postings in your local archive you can send a Bcc to yourself.

I don't regard Google Groups as the ne plus ultra of list servers but
it is pretty good.  If enough people join, I will consider moving the
list to a genuine LISTSERV server, which allows more options,
including the ability to bounce html mail and mail that contains to
much quoted material.

JD