[pianotech] A new Pianotech list that works

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 10:57:58 MST 2011

Is there any interest for a "Pianotech" web forum similar to Pianoworld's
web forum? Use that software or vBulletin or whatever works *well* for a web
forum. For instance, one forum search brought up not the exact search
results, it also brought up other threads that might be related but were not
the exact search result. That was nice.

I would be satisfied with a good web forum that allows for easy inline photo
and/or video (and other attachments). However, I'd also be OK with what we
have with the old (current) forum (email delivery). Basically, something
that does what we all have already mentioned.

After using the Higher Logic for a few days now, it seems that it might work
fairly well for those discussions that aren't so intensive as Pianotech's.
For instance, it looks like a decent way for chapter or regional members to
communicate and share. All PTG members are there automatically in the
"system," so it's super easy to create groups on the fly as needed. It's
just not what many of us Pianotechies were hoping for in an "upgrade."

If there is interest in a web forum, we could petition the "Higher Powers"
to make a separate forum for Pianotech not powered by Higher Logic (sic).
Those who wanted to be there could be there in that separate entity.

*After all, THIS IS OUR GUILD! We pay the dues, and we have some say in this
matter.* If enough of us want a separate, better web forum, I'm sure the
Board/Council/whoever will see the wisdom of it. It wouldn't cost that much,
would it?

Thinking out loud... your thoughts?

--
JF