[pianotech] Piano dollies

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat Mar 12 11:06:29 MST 2011

I've posted before about how I do not like the upright dollies that do not
support the piano where it was designed to be supported, i.e., they cradle
the piano around the bottom board. Here are some pics to illustrate the type
of problem this can cause

As you can see, the top of the bottom panel is tight against the keybed. The
only way to get it off is to unscrew the spring latch to get it totally out
of the way. Even then the top of the panel scrapes the bottom of the keybed
as it is removed.

This piano has sat on this dolly for about 25+ years. I've had to unscrew
the latch to get it off for the last 10 years.

On a couple of other pianos with this type of carriage I've seen keybeds
loose because they weren't supported by the front legs as they were
designed. The front castor blocks had broken loose also.

YMMV, but I would strongly recommend only installing the carriages that
support the piano at all 4 corners where the piano was designed to be
supported.

Dean

Dean W May                (812) 235-5272 voice and text

PianoRebuilders.com    (888) DEAN-MAY

Terre Haute IN 47802