[pianotech] Ludwig Feigel Piano/Viennese Action InformationRequest

Patrick C. Poulson pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 13 10:44:51 MDT 2011

John: Thanks for the information. The leather used in covering these hammers
is a very soft, fuzzy kind of leather, unlike any leather I have seen used
in pianos.The effect on the tone from this kind of leather is definitely not
subtle! I will try carefully sanding them to remove the string cuts first
before doing any hardening. I also wonder why the Austrians kept making
these Viennese actions so long. When I first looked at the instrument I was
expecting it to be a very well preserved example of a mid 1800's pianos.
Patrick