[pianotech] Yamaha finish

Ruth Phillips ruth at alliedpiano.com
Sun Mar 13 14:36:07 MDT 2011

Ray,
It can probably just be washed off with a mild solution of Ivory and water,
then polished with the correct polish to restore anything scratched by the
terry cloth - probably not a bad problem.
Ruth Phillips
ruth at alliedpiano.com

>Hello guys,
  I have a customer who recently bought a Yamaha C3 grand with polyester
finish. The instrument is about three years old. The problem is, the piano
had a few smudges on the case and the guy sprayed it down with 409 cleaner
and wiped it down with terry cloth. Well, his C3 now has a flat black
finish. He calls me after the damage is done. I am a 42 year second
generation tuner/tech veteran. I was an RPT for several years. I founded the
Palmetto Chapter in South Carolina with the help of Marshall Hawkins who was
Southeast Regional vice president at that time. Anyway, do any of you have
any ideas on restoring the gloss to the finish of this piano? I'd really
appreciate anything you can come up with.

Many thanks,

Ray Dellinger

raya440 at aol.com

hment.htm>

End of pianotech Digest, Vol 29, Issue 91