[pianotech] Ludwig Feigel Piano/Viennese Action InformationRequest

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Mar 13 17:11:52 MDT 2011

At 15:23 -0700 13/03/2011, Patrick C. Poulson wrote:

>John: Interesting stuff here. I believe that the owner would like
>the piano to sound as close to a modern piano as possible. So
>pulling off the leather and seeing what the piano sounds like would
>be a first step, apparently. Do you have a proven method of setting
>let-off? I can't imagine that it can be done with the action in the
>piano.

I think by the time you've worked out a reliable way to prop up the
back of the keyboard to bring the thing to the right height under the
set-off rail you might do better ramping the action in and out and
doing it a few at a time, but you can take measurements and try. You
need to sheck the blackleading and burnishing of the jacks both at
the front and underneath and devise a way to hold the jack firm as
you work on it so as not to strain or tear the vellum.

The Bösendofer I had was only just over 5 feet but very loud indeed
with a tremendous bass.  The front of the soundboard was floated on
an arched maplewood rail.  I don't know if other makes were like that.

JD