[pianotech] Ludwig Feigel Piano/Viennese Action InformationRequest

Conrad Hoffsommer choffsommer at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 13 19:27:04 MDT 2011

The letoff is adjusted by when the beak leather escapes out from under the escapement lever.  I can't see if there is a screw adjustment for that on the lower part of the lever, so what I'll say is what I used on a Stein rendition.

-Yes, rig up a jig to duplicate string level for outside of piano adjustments. Then add or remove shim(s) from between rest felt/cloth and that rail, or adjust screw, until letoff is reliable at about where you want it. Removing that leather layer will necessitate quantum adjustments to letoff, particularly to the end lesser worn hammers. You may find out that there in not enough hook left at the end of the beak...   Try first removing one side of the leather strip stretching and re-gluing (w/hot hide) a couple samples and see what a difference that could make. (You should find that the leather in only glued on at the ends)  Ideally, that lever should not be moving in or out as the beak moves up and down, only moving after the beak engages.  Those better versed in these beasties may disagree with this philosophy, but it seemed to work for me.  - i.e. YMMV

After doing that you should be able to chose between total leather replacement and going bare felt.

Conrad Hoffsommer