[pianotech] Starting a new thread directly from your email

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Mar 14 13:33:34 MDT 2011

Yes, this really shortcuts the system and lets you operate totally outside
the website if that's what you prefer.  All one needs to do then is to make
sure you are registered and set up the profile (fairly painless) and then
periodically check to see if there aren't other discussion groups that have
formed that you may want to be getting feeds from which is not that much
unlike the broad number of lists that now exist.

However, that does bring up another issue.  My own preference re the
formation of discussion groups is that they are preset by the home office
otherwise there is the potential for endless numbers of separate discussion
groups and it makes it unwieldy.  My suggestion would be to use the
categories that the conventions often divide into (aside from the pianotech
and caut groups).  These could be tuning, regulation, soundboard design,
business...broader categories under which everything else would be subsumed.
I'm seeing already that the number of groups is growing and getting a bit
too specific, for example "concert regulation and preparation" could easily
fall into a subject line under regulation.  Anyway, a suggestion for the
home office.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

cc Ron Berry