[pianotech] How Much Time to Remove & Replace set of Bass Strings on Yamaha G2?

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Mon Mar 14 21:00:27 MDT 2011

> From: Michael Magness <ifixpiano at gmail.com>
> Date: March 14, 2011 7:00:12 PM EDT
> To: pianotech at ptg.org
> Subject: Re: [pianotech] How Much Time to Remove & Replace set of Bass	Strings on Yamaha G2?
> I believe the tuning pins are tight enough to accomplish the job without replacing them, I just wasn't sure how long it should take I was guessing about 4 hours or so plus the re-tunes & tuning, just looking for confirmation.

Hi Michael,

In using the old pins, there a few ways things can end up biting you in the rear.

One is backing out the pins too far, leaving them considerably looser than they were and considerably looser than expected.  I've had that happen, even when I tried to back them out as little as I could.

Another is underestimating the amount of time it takes to make coils on a dummy pin, remove the new coil, and wrestle it onto the old pin.  It can be a bit challenging, especially considering that the string must be threaded through the agraffe before you start that process, limiting your access and range of motion.

A third is that it is easier to damage the beginning of the winding via inadvertent contact with the agraffe while doing the above.

Consider also that it is very easy to put a twist on strings going onto a new pin (by twisting the pin before driving while it is already on the hitch pin), but can be more time consuming to twist strings using the old pins (that somewhat depends on your methodology, though).

My advice, if you are going to use the old pins, is to estimate the job on the high side, just in case.  You can always "come in under" if everything goes smoothly, and people are usually quite happy to pay less than you told them it would cost.

And, I would have oversize pins and a pinblock support jack with me just in case some of them are looser than you expect while or after installing the new string.

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh