[pianotech] Tuning the duplex sections

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Mar 16 10:29:47 MDT 2011

A propos of nothing in particular, I mentioned the other day the
sloping wrestplank on certain 19th century pianos as illustrated below

and mentioned that the angle is 8° and that the bearing cloth serves
as little more than a damper for the front section rather than a
bearing as such.

This design seems to have several advantages from a mechanical and
tuning point of view over the design that followed it and persisted
for many years.  Contrast this with the arrangement on a classic
Bechstein grand where you have a beech bearing up to 3" wide covered
with a thin bearing cloth -- sooner or later it becomes extremely
difficult to tune these owing to the friction at the bearing combined
with oxidation of the strings.  With the old arrangement the pressure
on the bearing/muting cloth is minimal, but it must have very similar
characteristics to a front duplex that is listed or otherwise muted.

The reason why this old design died out might have something to do
with the development of the full metal frame with integral wrestpin
plate, but I can't see any practical difficulty in making a casting
to follow this design.  The other possibility is that makers decided
this arrangement was tonally inferior to the design that followed
it...

...On pianos of the next long-lived generation with agraffes, which
is to say almost all pianos except Steinway copies, the bearing is
brought so close to the agraffe that you often need to kink the wire
when pulling it through in order to avoid nicking the bearing cloth.
In other words there is only a very small length of wire between the
stud and the bearing, so that there can be no appreciable leak of
energy across the bridge and the bridge becomes as closely as
possible a true termination to the speaking length.

The case of the studded upright is similar in effect the stud
provides for a fixed angle and an extremely short length between the
bridge and the string holes.  In my experience the tone of that
minority of uprights that have studs all through has always been
good, though uprights with studs always to come from makers that are
pretty good in the first place.

This topic has got me questioning certain ideas that I've held, or
been developing, for a long time.  The primary consideration must
always be optimum tone.  If a certain design makes it easier to tune
or more durable, well and good, but if a design that has advantages
is to the slightest detriment to the tone, then tonal considerations
must prevail, I think.

JD