[pianotech] Stwy A (6' 1") speaking lengths

Alan Eder reggaepass at aol.com
Thu Mar 17 16:05:26 MDT 2011

JD,

Thanks!

Alan Eder

-----Original Message-----
From: John Delacour <JD at Pianomaker.co.uk>
To: pianotech <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Thu, Mar 17, 2011 10:44 am
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Stwy A (6' 1") speaking lengths

At 17:13 -0400 17/03/2011, Alan Eder wrote:

>Does anyone have information about speaking lengths (particularly
>notes nos. 1, 20, 21 and 88) for Steinway model A, 6' 1" (1913).
> This could be information either from Steinway itself, or from
>observation, or even your own notion of what might work best.  The
>project in question does not involve adding a transition bridge or
>rescaling, but comparing the original condition of a piano getting a
>new board and bridge caps with other iterations of the same model.

If you mean the 6'2" then here are the measurements within a
millimetre or two.  The exact figure for note 88 I don't know but 50
will be fine.

1     141.6 cm.
20    108.2
21    120.4
88      5.0 (+-2)

The bass lengths are good for the 6 foot pre-A as well.  I understand
they made a 6'4" at some point but I don't think they came over here.

JD