[pianotech] What is bloom,

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Mar 18 10:26:08 MDT 2011

Here's another way to look at it. The amount of potential energy in the system is represented by the sum of the compression in the soundboard system (as Nick describes) plus the amount that can be delivered by the hammer, much like a wrecking ball at the peak of its arc poised to crash into the building. Different systems may have those two sources in different proportion. For the same energy output you might have one system that relies on a greater amount stored in the soundboard and one that relies on a greater amount delivered from the hammer. The differences in the way the energy is released by virtue of that proportional difference  and how that manifests itself acoustically might go some way toward  answering the JD question and the notion of "bloom", whatever that is . With more energy stored in the board the total system relies less on hammer input and the same  total release of energy can be  achieved with less energy coming from the hammer. When you think about the differences between that Steinway we loved with very light and soft hammers that seems to come alive at the slightest touch and the Yamaha that requires some greater input of energy it all seems to fall into place.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com
(sent from bb)