[pianotech] SWELL

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Mar 20 01:53:09 MDT 2011

At 22:46 +0000 19/03/2011, I wrote:

>I still haven't unearthed the special name Brinsmead gave to his
>later developments in the soundboard and I then need to associate
>this with dates so that I know which period this special design
>belonged to.

Got it! : 'Sostenente Sounding Board'.

Here are a few extracts from Brinsmead newspaper ads.

Patent Sostenente Sounding Board, covers the entire area below the
wrestplank [upright in this case] and is fixed to a rim of resonant
wood on a plan which greatly increases its freedom, and also its
vibratory power.

Sostenente Sounding Board, Patented 1862, 1868,  1871, 1875, 1879,
1881, throughout Europe and America.

[1882] Sostenente Sounding Board and patent tone compensator and renovator.

Not much to go on there, except that "tone compensator and renovator"
sounds interesting. I'll have to make time to look at the patents and
foind out the facts behind the hype.

JD