[pianotech] funny experience, slighty OT

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Wed Mar 23 01:38:20 MDT 2011

Several years ago someone posted a funny story about when a concert pianist was going to give a recital at a small town, the pianist's manager wrote the recital hall the instructions for the electrician, the stage manager, the lighting and sound men, the piano movers, and the piano tuner, and asked that they meet with the manager the day the pianists arrives. The answer came back. "he will be there".

Today I flew to Molokai to look at, and buy, a Steinway O. The only way to get to Molokai is by plane, which in this case, was a 9 seater Cessna Caravan, with one prop, flown by two young ladies. The company that operates this airplane is Mokolele Express. After she closed the passenger door, one of the pilots climbed into the cockpit and stuck her head out the cockpit door, and yelled at us. "turn off your cell phones, no smoking, the life preserver is under your seat, fasten your seatbelts, and don't take them off until we get there, because it's going to be a bumpy ride.

But that is not the funny story. When I got ready to go back, a lady behind the ticket counter at Molokai airport gave me my boarding pass. Soon I saw her take baggage out to the tarmac with a cart. She then took out those orange flashlights, and guided the plane to it's resting place. She then opened the door to the waiting area, assigned each one of our seats, and took our boarding passes. She then loaded the baggage onto the plane, and using the orange flashlights. sent the plane on it's way. A one lady show.

At security, there were five men to check my boarding pass and make sure I wasn't trying to bring anything dangerous on board the little plane.

Wim