[pianotech] Cleaning bass strings

Dave Swartz swartzy at charter.net
Thu Mar 24 22:23:00 MDT 2011

I have done more crazy things to bass strings than I care to
admit...including boiling them!  I heard of the idea first from a bassist
from years back in my rock & roll days, so I figured why not?

When Roger Weisensteiner (Kimball Piano) sent me a pallet of new parts to
smoke up (literally), he sent me numerous sets of bass strings.  After
smoking them, discoloring them and left some outside even, I went to work.

My findings and to my surprise were the results:

I took a big kettle pot and brought it to a boil......coiled individual
strings (whole) and placed roughly 10 in the pot., allowing them to cook for
around 10 to 15 minutes.  Not wanting them to rust, I used tongs to pull
them out of the boiling water, and immediately placed them on towels.  Using
hot pad mittens, I uncoiled each and dried them, assuring no water droplets
were present (at least to the naked eye).  I took them outside and shook
them...naturally, more water found the way from within the windings.  Much
to my surprise, these strings DID NOT rust.  They appeared a bit cleaner but
still were discolored.  Dirt & residue (from the smoke ordeal...another
story) still remained to some degree within the windings.  Look at them
through a microscope and you'll see :)

I've used serious chemicals to clean bass strings, ozone depleters,
toxic/caustic formulations that probably shouldn't be allowed in
public...LOL.  I've also sanded, Scotch-Brited with numerous degreasers,
surfactants, bead blasted.  The one thing I haven't tried is electrostatic
liquid cleaning as I've been looking for a time to do some testing with one
of my restoration houses....this might be interesting :)

So, long story short:  I've come to the conclusion if the strings need
serious cleaning, Mapes, Schaff or your preferred string maker is only a
phone call away.

Dave Swartz, RPT
Cory Products
www.corycare.com