[pianotech] Steinway parts list

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Mon Mar 28 15:51:22 MDT 2011

Del, the phone book case I had in mind was about White Pages. I just
looked it up again, it's Feist v Rural, 1991. In involved the phony
numbers thing that you mention.

There is a very good discussion of it in Wikipedia, which is useful
because it sets out the principles and ideas behind US copyright law
very well.

You suggest that
>   Company Y has to gather their own information independently
> of Company X's published list; then they are free to publish their own list
> based on the information they have gathered as the result of their own work.
> Even if the two end up being identical.

Afraid not! The Feist V Rural case established just the very opposite:

"The court ruled that Rural's directory was nothing more than an
alphabetic list of all subscribers to its service, which it was required
to compile under law, and that no creative expression was involved. The
fact that Rural spent considerable time and money collecting the data
was irrelevant to copyright law, and Rural's copyright claim was dismissed".

I think that would apply to Pierce. Try it and see what happens in court!

Best regards,

David.