[pianotech] SAMA

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Tue Mar 29 07:53:19 MDT 2011

Yes, me too.  A dealer I do periodic work for used (uses?) them at least as
recently as the end of 2010.  I wouldn't send a piano there that I wanted to
be any better than (slightly below?) average.  Bridges with DAG spread on
top of the old pins, notching that looks like it was done with a chainsaw.
 But, in fairness, it probably is tough to notch a bridge with the old pins
still in.  Tuning pins left extremely high, providing a nice 10 or 15 degree
departure angle of the string from the pin.  Coils loose and spread all over
(again, in fairness it's probably tough to have tight coils when the string
dives away from the tuning pin so abruptly).  Shims in the soundboard that
cracked open again within a month.  The list goes on.

Though, I thought SAMA was no more.  Don't they have a new name now or
something?

William R. Monroe