[pianotech] Experiences of Temperature on Tuning Stability Inquiry...

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Mon May 9 11:42:00 MDT 2011

Hi, Zach:

                My experience is that temperature is a huge factor in
tuning.  I don't allow any breeze over the piano when I tune, especially
when I'm tuning an upright piano.  If you take your finger and rub a string
for a few seconds, you can measure a change in the frequency because of the
friction and heat.  I know some tuners on this list remarking that they open
the piano first and let the temperature equalize before they tune an
upright.  Pianos are amazingly sensitive to temperature, and of course,
humidity.

                Paul McCloud

                San Diego