[pianotech] Jumpy tuning pins

John Ross jrpiano at eastlink.ca
Mon May 9 17:34:41 MDT 2011

I have heard of a C/A glue treatment being used with success.
I have not tried it, but will if it happens to me.
If you do try it, please let the list know the result.
Try one pin first, by removing it and swabbing the hole.
Make sure the pin is not contaminated with anything.
If it works, then turn the piano on it's back and go to it.
The other thing to try, is remove the pin and use a wire brush in the hole, to remove the possible glaze.
If a larger pin is required, then a slight reaming would help. This would give you a fresh wood surface.
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia