[pianotech] Removing Strings

Steven Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Thu May 12 07:46:50 MDT 2011

I have been asked to de-string a Steinway grand.  I don't need to be careful for reasons of what they are doing with the piano after.  I have done this before but needed to be careful so the piano could be put back in order.
My question is would using a becket breaking tool be the fastest way to deal with the coils and getting the job moving?  Is there a way to do this without purchasing the dedicated tool Schaff sells? Also are there any safety concerns?  Do I need to follow any special order of sections or pins to prevent harm to plate and myself?  (I do need to keep the plate from breaking :)
Thanks for the help
Steven HoppMidland, TX