[pianotech] Shank questions

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon May 23 16:40:02 MDT 2011

At 17:18 -0400 23/05/2011, Alan Eder wrote:

>Have you tried or heard about Wessel, Nickel & Gross' composite
>hammershanks?  They, too, are conducting an experiment, on hundreds
>(or, maybe by now, thousands) of pianos.  These shanks are very
>consistent and significantly stiffer than those made of wood.  I
>just ordered a set.  Some on the list have already tried them.

Well I have seen them and think they are interesting, but the process
by which they are made, 'pultrusion', is not the process that
achieves the stiffest result.  I have discussed the matter with
someone at

<http://carbonfibretubes.co.uk/custom.html>

and he is supposed to be sending me samples.  The method they use is
not so fast as pultrusion but I think the difference in cost will be
slight.

However at the moment I'm interested in general observations on shanks.

JD