[pianotech] cleaning around tuning pins

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed May 25 11:36:17 MDT 2011

At 08:46 -0700 25/05/2011, you wrote:

>Can someone tell me if there is a specific cleaning product I can
>safely use to scrub around tuning pins. I once used carpet shampoo
>but am no longer sure of the safety of the new version of that
>product.

I've just finished doing this job on a grand.  I used borax in water.
I soak a small soft cotton rag in the solution and wring it out
thoroughly.  I then use a bamboo kebab stick to rub the rag over the
plate, using the flat end between the pins and the pointed end to get
into the quirks and under the strings. I used borax because the plate
is finished in shellac and washing soda will dissolve the finish and
there is a risk of cutting through to the bronzing.  I used the same
solution to clean the whole of the iron frame.

JD