[pianotech] Emerson piano

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Wed May 25 16:57:15 MDT 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Marshall Gisondi
<pianotune05 at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
> I worked on and tuned an Emerson piano today, a console with a lyre, I'm
> not lyer ing? lol  the soft pedal and sustain I had to adjust but therei's a
> middle pedal and rod but it doesn't connect to anything at all.  I checked
> everywhere for a lever connecting with the pedal, nothing.  So what are your
> thoughts on this mystry pedal?
>
> Also, she likes the piano but it needs action work i.e. refurbishing dry
> parts, needs new strings especially in the bass.  Pins seem reasonable
> however.  It had this zing sound when I played e flat 3 and e 3 which I'm
> guessing could have been the small crack in the soundboard, but when I moved
> the piano back against the wall, it went away.  That's my second mystry.
>
> So is this piano worth her putting the over 1 to 2k of work into?  It';s an
> old piano.  Oh and she used this "Howard finish resore or HOward restor
> finish, a name something like this. does anyone know about this, and does it
> have sylicone.  I asked if she could read the ingredients but we couldn't
> find it listed. So I want to make sure it's still safe for her to use.
> Thanks
> Marshall
>

> Marshall Gisondi Piano Technician
> Marshall's Piano Service
> *pianotune05 at hotmail.com*
> 215-510-9400
> *www.phillytuner.com *
> Graduate of The School of Piano Technology for the Blind
> www.pianotuningschool.org Vancouver, WA

It sounds like a "Betsy Ross" furniture style piano, usually the middle
pedal is a bass only sustain. They are kind of a pain to work on due to the
lyre, having to remove it to access the kickboard & what's behind it, the
pedals are frequently more convoluted than necessary to accomodate the lyre.
I have 3 I work on all different brands, one is a Winter spinet w/an
Aluminum plate. When I last worked on it, I told her it was probably worth
more as aluminum salvage than as a piano!
IMHO action work is fine, if the customer likes the instrument but
refinishing? These pianos are not highly desirable, sale wise that's all
I'll say about that.

Mike

--

I think we are a product of all our experiences.
Sanford I. Weill<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/s/sanfordiw283095.html>

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404