[pianotech] Shank questions

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed May 25 21:36:08 MDT 2011

My experience parallels Kent's. Burning these things in is just way
cool. A little flame heat, and the shanks *liquefy*. No spring back, you
put them where you want them and that's where they are when they cool.
The down side is their tendency to split if torqued to even a moderate
degree without heat. Split = dead, and it happens way too easily on my
scale. I'm still not a fan of trying to glue a humidity reactive hammer
molding to a humidity exempt shank and expecting a stable joint, but I'm
not unaccustomed to being in the minority concerning such things.
Ron N