[pianotech] Shank questions

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu May 26 10:02:34 MDT 2011

At 20:43 +0100 23/05/2011, I wrote:

>...In the 1890's Brinsmead fitted a shank made of a wood the colour
>of black walnut, which I have never identified properly...

I have now identified it properly.  It is black walnut! 7/32".  I
needed to repair one of these shanks on a 5'5" grand by splicing and
was able to make an invisible repair using walnut.  The discoloration
of the surface was misleading me -- once I planed the angle for the
splice it was clear it was walnut.

Wolfenden reckoned hickory was the best thing for shanks but I don't
think I've ever seen it used.  Do you see hickory shanks in America?

JD